Stanford seeks to hire the best talent and to promote a safe and secure environment for all members of the university community and its property. To that end, new staff hires must pass a background check prior to starting work at Stanford University.
- How to Request a Background Check
- HireRight Training for School/VP Area HR Professionals
- Stanford Background Check Policies updated 5/1/18
- Search for a Previous Background Check
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Program Start Dates by School/Unit for Non-Academic Saff
- Program Start Dates by School/Unit for Academic Staff and OTT
When HireRight is unable to grant a "Meets Company Standards" result under Stanford's guidelines, the background check will appear in the "Pending Adjudication" tab. The requester of the background check will receive a notification email from HireRight. Background Checks will place a colored flag on each Pending case to tell you next steps.
IMPORTANT: Review your background checks' status daily.
Colored Icons for Pending Cases
View the explanations and steps for each Pending status, indicated with a colored flag or a colored check mark.
- SU Employment Application updated 12/15/17
- SU Background Check consent form (for use when there is no SU Employment Application) updated 12/15/17
- School of Medicine SSN Verification consent form
- Stanford University SSN Verification consent form
- Instructions for either SSN Verification consent form
To inquire about a background check in progress and for general questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To create a new user, modify a current user account, de-activate a user or to create a new departmental account for HireRight Access, please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Desired action
- Requestor's first & last name (must be the department's HRM or HRA)
- Requestor's phone number and email address
- User's first and last name
- User's SUNet ID
- User's phone number
- User's Stanford email address
- Name of current/previous HireRight user to mirror
- User's department name