Image-based employee records
Use of a software application, OpenText, has been adopted by several schools and units to cease using paper for employee records and convert existing personnel paper records to be stored electronically as document images in an electronic record (e-file). Advantages to this approach include:
- Reduced need to use physical space for storage of paper records
- Increased security to records since only those authorized can login to the system to view specific records
- Ability to easily share employee records when there are job transfers (no photocopying)
Digital personnel files in OpenText are currently for active benefits-eligible employees (no temps or casuals). E-files are not available for employees who terminated prior to 2012, when e-file usage began.
Staff transfers from areas using e-files
The following schools and units have moved to image-based (digital) active staff personnel files and a paper file is no longer available when one of their employees transfers out from those groups. These areas are:
- Business Affairs & CFO
- Dean of Research
- Humanities and Sciences
- Land, Buildings & Real Estate
- School of Earth, Energy and Environmental Sciences
- School of Education
- School of Engineering
- School of Medicine
- University HR
- Vice President for the Arts
- Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (VPTL)
HR teams must make provision for the transfer of their employee’s file before that employee is transferred in the PeopleSoft system.
- OpenText: Receive the image-based file in the OpenText system, and be trained on how to view and maintain the file in OpenText.
- Hybrid: Receive the image-based file in the OpenText system, and be trained on how to view the file, and maintain a paper file for new items in that employee's record going forward.
- Paper: Receive the image-based file in the OpenText system, print it out, and maintain only a paper personnel file going forward. The new department will be responsible for assuring the old imaged documents are maintained separately from the newly created documents that were never imaged-based.
Access is granted by the local Human Resource Department.
- Refer to the HR Personnel eFiles - HR Super User and HR Rep User Job Aid - Granting Access section
Job Aids and Resources
- HR Personnel eFiles - HR Super User and HR Rep User Job Aid (05/16/19)
- HR Personnel eFiles - HR Dept User Job Aid (05/16/19)
- Personnel File Naming Conventions, Non-Academic Staff (05/16/19)
- Personnel File Content (05/16/19)
- HR Personnel eFiles - Upload Attachments from Email (05/16/19)
- Enterprise Connect - Plug-in Job Aid (05/16/19)
- Training Slide Presentation (05/16/19)
To get help using HR eFiles (OpenText), please submit a help ticket.