Image-based employee records
Use of a software application, Nolij, has been adopted by several schools and units to cease using paper for employee records and convert existing personnel paper records to be stored electronically as document images in an electronic record (e-file). Advantages to this approach include:
- Reduced need to use physical space for storage of paper records
- Increased security to records since only those authorized can login to the system to view specific records
- Ability to easily share employee records when there are job transfers (no photocopying)
Digital personnel files in Nolij are currently for active benefits-eligible employees (no temps or casuals). E-files are not available for employees who terminated prior to 2012, when e-file usage began.
Staff transfers from areas using e-files
The following schools and units have moved to image-based (digital) active staff personnel files and a paper file is no longer available when one of their employees transfers out from those groups. These areas are:
- Business Affairs & CFO
- Dean of Research (in progress)
- Humanities and Sciences (in progress)
- Land, Buildings & Real Estate
- School of Earth, Energy and Environmental Sciences (in progress)
- School of Education
- School of Engineering
- School of Medicine
- University HR
- Vice President for the Arts
- Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning (VPTL)
HR teams must make provision for the transfer of their employee’s file before that employee is transferred in the PeopleSoft system.
- Nolij: Receive the image-based file in the Nolij system, and be trained on how to view and maintain the file in Nolij.
- Hybrid: Receive the image-based file in the Nolij system, and be trained on how to view the file, and maintain a paper file for new items in that employee's record going forward.
- Paper: Receive the image-based file in the Nolij system, print it out, and maintain only a paper personnel file going forward. The new department will be responsible for assuring the old imaged documents are maintained separately from the newly created documents that were never imaged-based.
Once your request has been received, the normal turn around time for obtaining access is 2-3 business days. To obtain access to HR eFiles (Noli) submit a help ticket with the following information:
- Name (HRA/HRM/DFA who will need access)
- SUNet ID
- Parent Org Code
- Desired Role and Permissions (see Roles and Permissions document)
Job Aids and more information
- NEW - Information Sheet: Personnel File Reviews (03/28/2018)
- Nolij: Email Document Download Link Job Aid (REVISED 04/23/18)
- Nolij FAQ (REVISED 04/23/18)
- Nolij Job Aid (REVISED 04/23/18)
- Personnel File Content, Non-Academic Staff
- Personnel File Naming Conventions
- Roles and Permissions (REVISED 04/23/2018)
To get help using HR eFiles (Nolij), please submit a help ticket.